[Pw_forum] Error building q-e 4.1 with Ubuntu 9.10 beta

Miguel Martínez miguel.martinez at ehu.es
Sat Oct 3 17:18:55 CEST 2009

Fellow q-e users,

Given the increased strictness seen by recent gcc versions, I tried to
compile quantum-espresso 4.1 in ubuntu 9.10 beta. Yes, I know it's a
development version and that nothing is guaranteed, but it's also a
good way to see improvements in the 4.4 branch of gcc.

However, when using gfortran and gcc 4.4, with or without atlas and
lapack, with or without openmpi, the build fails. That is after a
successful configure. I'll put the build error later. First I thought
that gcc 4.4 was to blame, but the 4.4 branch compiles q-e successfully
in a Debian system.

The last lines of compilation are:
http://pastebin.org/33895

It seems that if I comment out the test regarding HAVE_MALLINFO in
configure (lines 4085 to 4090) and reconfigure, the compilation will
produce useful binaries. Does anybody know what's happening here? Is
this (another) ubuntu bug? I'll also put the configuration log for
anyone interested (without the fix): http://pastebin.org/33900

Thanks for your comments,

Miguel

PS: I hope nobody's bothered by the pastebin links (they expire in one
month). It seemed somewhat unpolite to send 40k of plain text most
people won't be interested in.

Miguel Martínez Canales
   Condensed Matter Physics Dpt.
   UPV/EHU
   Faculty of Science and Technology
   Apdo. 644
   48080 Bilbao (Spain)
Fax:  +34 94 601 3500
Tlf:  +34 94 601 5326

 "If you have an apple and I have an apple and
 we exchange these apples then you and I will
 still each have one apple. But if you have an
 idea and I have an idea and we exchange these
 ideas, then each of us will have two ideas."

 George Bernard Shaw