[Pw_forum] how to build cell for diamagnetic material?

Gabriele Sclauzero sclauzer at sissa.it
Fri Oct 2 14:59:57 CEST 2009

duchl06 wrote:
> hi,Gabriele Sclauzero
> thanks for your advice and hoping your further guide.
> i am reading a paper "Charge-Transfer-Based Mechanism for
> Half-Metallicity and Ferromagnetism in one-Dimensional
> OrganometallicSandwich Molecular Wires"
> http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ja804053a
> in this paper they consider a sandwich molecular wires (such as 1D
> (VBz)∞ wire, (MnCp)∞ wire, Bz is benzene, Cp** is cyclopentadienyl), and
> they said "Furthermore, we investigate the effect of doubling the unit
> cell size along the SMW direction to evaluate the ground state of
> ferromagnetic (FM), antiferromagnetic (AFM), and diamagnetic (DM)
> configurations in our spin-polarized calculations with structural
> optimization,

In this paper, I think they refer to a non-magnetic ground-state as "DM configuration".
A priori you do not know if the DFT ground state (which does not necessarily always
correspond to the true physical GS) will be FM, AFM or non-magnetic. You have to allow the
system to "explore" an enlarged phase space with non-zero magnetization and see if the
energy of a magnetic configuration (either FM or AFM) is lower than the non-magnetic
solution.
Actually, if the GS is non-magnetic, you should end to the non-magnetic GS even if you
start from a magnetic configuration (unless you get trapped in some local minimum).
I think that's why \Delta E in table 1 of the paper you pointed out is always negative (or
not given): if the GS is magnetic, it will have a lower energy than the lowest energy
non-magnetic solution, otherwise the GS is not magnetic and a spin-polarized calculation
will give the same GS of a non-spin polarized one.

HTH

GS

--

| Gabriele Sclauzero, PhD Student                  |