[Pw_forum] pwcond with spin-orbital effect

Gabriele Sclauzero sclauzer at sissa.it
Fri Oct 2 08:51:32 CEST 2009

xirainbow wrote:
> Dear all:
>
> I know the example 22 give a transmission with spin-orbital effect.
>
> Is the spin-orbital effect considered as perturbation?

No, it is not correct to say this in my point of view. The SO effect is included through
the use of so-called fully-relativistic pseudo potentials, as it is done in PWscf (see
Andrea Dal Corso and Adriano Mosca Conte, Phys. Rev. B 71 115106 (2005) for details).

> Does the pwcond.x use "Green function" method?

No, it uses a scattering state approach, which integrates numerically a scattering
equation in real space along the direction of transport (while in the perpendicular
directions the PW basis of the PWscf calculation is retained).
See:
Hyoung Joon Choi and Jisoon Ihm, Phys. Rev. B 59, 2267 (1999)

for the method originally developed for norm-conserving PPs and:
Andrea Dal Corso, Alexander Smogunov, and Erio Tosatti, Phys. Rev. B 74, 045429 (2006)

for the extension to US-PPs with spin-orbit coupling.

> Can the pwcond.x deal with "voltage bias" condition?

No, it is built within the Landauer-Buttiker linear response theory, which gives the low
bias limit of the conductance.

Regards,

GS