[Pw_forum] one more question about NEB and CP

Nicola Marzari marzari at MIT.EDU
Mon Nov 23 15:23:00 CET 2009

vega lew wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I used to perform NEB calculations to estimate the energy barrier for
> certain chemical reaction.
> The calculated activation barrier is about 0.2 eV. I want the see the
> reaction process during some pico-second of CP calculations.
> Do you think the reaction could happen in such a short time?  and what
> temperature is suitable for jumping over the saddle point?
>
> thank you for reading
>
> best wishes,
>
> vega

Hi Vega,

try to work this out by yourself, looking at the arrhenius formula ; put an
attempt rate comparable to say an optical phonon. But the answer is
probably yes,
especially if you are a bit over room temperature (500-600K).

                nicola