[Pw_forum] makov-payne or ee

Stefano de Gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Tue Nov 17 12:10:13 CET 2009

there are two ways you can calculate an isolated system using version
4.1.1 (three if you use cvs verison)

Using 4.1.1:

- Makov-Payne: just define assume_isolated = .true. the code calculate
an estimate of the energy correction for the presence of images. This
does not introduce a correction for the potential (except a  constant
shift if i recall correctly).
  The correction is calculated from the Madelung constant of the Bravais
lattice used so there is no constraint on that.

-dcc: density counter charge correction (using ee)   define do_ee as
.true. and  then  the needed variables in  the auxiliary  ee namelist
(please refer to the INPUT_PW.html etc for a description) . The
multigrid solver only works for orthorhombic cells.

If you are using CVS version. one additional option has been added and
the input restructured (simplified?)

assume_isolated is now a CHARACTER variable whose choices are:

'none' (default): regular periodic calculation w/o any correction.

'makov-payne', 'm-p', 'mp' : the Makov-Payne correction to the
         total energy is computed. An estimate of the vacuum
         level is also calculated so that eigenvalues can be
         properly aligned.
         Theory:
         G.Makov, and M.C.Payne,
         "Periodic boundary conditions in ab initio
         calculations" , Phys.Rev.B 51, 4014 (1995)

'dcc' :  density counter charge correction.
         The electrostatic problem is solved in open boundary
         conditions. At variance with the Makov-Payne approach
         that only estimates an energy correction here the
         scf potential is corrected as well.
         The OBC problem is solved useing a multi-grid algorithm
         that requires additional input provided in the separate
         namelist EE (see later).
         Theory described in:
         I.Dabo, B.Kozinsky, N.E.Singh-Miller and N.Marzari,
         "Electrostatic periodic boundary conditions and
         real-space corrections", Phys.Rev.B 77, 115139 (2008)

'martyna-tuckerman', 'm-t', 'mt' : Martyna-Tuckerman correction.
         As for the dcc correction the scf potential is also
         corrected. Implementation adapted from:
         G.J. Martyna, and M.E. Tuckerman,
         "A reciprocal space based method for treating long
         range interactions in ab-initio and force-field-based
         calculation in clusters", J.Chem.Phys. 110, 2810 (1999)

--

 Please have a look at the theory papers before using a given option so
that you know what you are doing.,

  best regards,
   stefano