[Pw_forum] Descriptions of FHI and UPF formats?

Brad Malone brad.malone at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 02:17:23 CET 2009

Hi, I'm currently having some issues with pseudopotentials that I've
converted from FHI format to UPF format using the utility fhi2upf.x. My
problems might possibly be stemming from the conversion from FHI to UPF
format (either due to the code itself or quite possibly incorrect usage).
In the header of fhi2upf.f90 it says "May or may not work: carefully check
what you get".  However, without knowing the format of the two pseudo files
it's not really possible for me to check this conversion directly. Is anyone
aware of any good resources online that clearly describe the formats of
these two files? Is
http://quantum-espresso.org/wiki/index.php/Unified_pseudopotential_format up
to date?  If so, any explanation for FHI then? It would be nice to not
simply get an understanding of the format by looking at fhi2upf.f90, since I
then might not be able to tell what assumptions result in it occasionally
not working.

Thanks,
Brad Malone
UC Berkeley