[Pw_forum] GIPAW: write tensor field

Davide Ceresoli ceresoli at MIT.EDU
Mon Nov 2 14:51:10 CET 2009

Goranka Bilalbegovic wrote:

> Hello,
>
> In the GIPAW directory there is a file "write_tensor_field.f90".
> However, it looks as writing of tensor fields is not implemented. I
> would like to know if there are
> some problems with this implementation, or "write_tensor_field" is just
> not implemented till now.
>
> Best regards,
> Goranka Bilalbegovic
> Department of Physics, Faculty of Science
> University of Zagreb, Croatia

Hi Goranka,
     the rank-2 tensor field (the induced current or the induced
magnetic field) is split into 3 cartesian components, and
written into 3 separate files, as vector fields

When I first implemented the routine, I didn't have any fancy
visualization code in mind (like OpenDX, MayaVi, VTK, ...)
and I've implemented instead for Xcrysden. Xcrysden can output
small 'arrows' associated to fake atoms. The problem is that
the visualization becomes extremely slow.

This said, the format is open, and if you have ideas and
suggestions, they are welcome.

Davide