[Pw_forum] Installing QE 4.0.5 on Mac Pro

Cristian Degli Esposti Boschi cristian.degliesposti at unibo.it
Thu May 28 12:12:40 CEST 2009

Dear all,

thanks for the replies. Here a brief list of comments to
each one of them:

 >I never had problems with the gfortran for Mac you can find here:
 >http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/GFortran.

In this page I've seen that Gfortran is known to work
on powerpc-darwin and i386-darwin. My architecture is
i386-apple-darwin9.0.
In fact I also never had problems before with gfortran on that Mac.

 >As you pointed this out I checked my config.log and I see the same
 >warning when compiling
 >with ifort/icc, but it seems to make no harm at the end. Maybe the
 >problem is in the GCC
 >compiler (I suppose you're using gcc, am I right?). Which version are
 >you using?

gcc version 4.0.1 (Apple Inc. build 5490)
[others available 4.3.3 (GCC) and gcc 4.2.1 (Apple Inc. build 5566)]

 >well, your operating system tells you that you are running out
 >of memory. this is not the fault of Q-E.
 >perhaps the problem is too big for the machine?

The same problem runs without crashing on another machine without OSX
but with the same processors and amount of RAM...

 >ok. now that explains something. your default compiler installation
 >is a 32-bit version. those have a limited address space of about
 >2GB. this is why you are running out of memory. when you change
 >to 64-bit mode, this is resolved. however, you cannot just change
 >make.sys. you have to re-run configure and pass the -m64 flag
 >with the compiler flags (for c, f77 _and_ f90) and then compilation
 >should work.

I've passed the -m64 option at the very beginning in the configure step
but then when I make all I get the error and warning with fft_scalar !

 >in 64-bit mode some parts of the fortran and c code
 >in Q-E have to be adjusted due to the difference in pointer size
 >vs. the default integer size compared to 32-bit mode.

So, do I have to adjust the code? Where and how? Not like that in the
other 64-bit machine without OSX...

THANKS again for your time. Cristian
Cristian Degli Esposti Boschi
CNR, CNISM, Unita' di Ricerca di Bologna, c/o
Dipartimento di Fisica, Universita' di Bologna
viale Berti-Pichat, 6/2, 40127, Bologna, Italia
tel. ++39 051 2095114   fax ++39 051 2095113
e-mail: cristian.degliesposti -AT- unibo.it
web:    http://www.df.unibo.it/fismat/theory