[Pw_forum] Optical phonon convergence at Gamma-point

Stefano Baroni baroni at sissa.it
Mon May 25 15:59:47 CEST 2009

On May 24, 2009, at 11:04 PM, Sophia Nishad wrote:

> Hi,

Sohia:

>  I have checked ecutrho as well (even though it is suggested in the
> mailing list that the default relation for ecutrho should be ok with
> norm-conserving pseudos).

in fact, with NC PPs there is no point in increasing the charge cutoff
beyon 4 x wvfct cutoff

> With changes to the ecutrho (~8,10 etc.) I see small change to the
> optical phonons' values (~1 cm-1), but it is still off from the
> experiemntal value by ~8cm-1.

8/510 = 1.5% I highly value your expectations abouT DFT, linear
response, QE, and all the rest, still 1.5% seems to me an excellent
agreement with experiments

>  I was confused why no comment had been made in the link http://users.aims.ac.za/~paolo/tutorial_phon.htmat
>  on the convergence of phonons with respect to ecutrho whereas the
> importance of the effects of ecutwfc on PW calculations was
> explained in so many places.
>
> Could I conclude that with the norm-conerving pseudo available on
> the QE website it is not possible to get improved phonon result???
>
> It would be really helpful for me if someone could refer to results
> for Si that had been done checking the convergence of phonons w.r.t
> ecutwfc.

well done linear-response phonon calculations should just reproduce
frozen-phonon calculations, to which all the explanations about total-
energy calculations apply. there are residual subtelties regarding the
fulfillment of the acoustic sum rule, but these mainly affect acoustic
phonons. I will explain the little I have understood on this issue in
another occasion.

SB

---
Stefano Baroni - SISSA  &  DEMOCRITOS National Simulation Center -
Trieste
http://stefano.baroni.me [+39] 040 3787 406 (tel) -528 (fax) /
stefanobaroni (skype)

La morale est une logique de l'action comme la logique est une morale
de la pensée - Jean Piaget