[Pw_forum] Time of phonon calculation

Gabriele Sclauzero sclauzer at sissa.it
Fri May 15 17:09:55 CEST 2009

Il giorno 15/mag/09, alle ore 16:29, 程迎春 ha scritto:

> &electrons
> /
> In the scf calculation, the default convergence threshold for scf
> conv_thr is 1.D-6, but in the phonon calculation, the threshold
>  tr2_ph=1.0d-12,
> is much tighter !!!

Actually the converge thresholds for pw.x (conv_thr) and ph.x (tr2_ph)
are not referred to the same quantity. The first is about the
estimated error on the total energy, while the second is a sort of
norm of the difference between the scf potential at two consecutive
steps of the scf cycle (though I'm not completely sure).

> I think you can increase the scf threshold and decrease the phonon
> threshold.  You can change the both threshold to 1.D-8.

In order to get good phonons it is usually better to have a well
converged scf potential, so that it is good advice to decrease
conv_thr down to 1.d-8.
However, to my knowledge, it is better not to increase tr2_ph with
respect to the default (1.d-12).

GS

> --
> Y. C. Cheng