[Pw_forum] monoclinic cell definition question

jasius_1 at yahoo.com jasius_1 at yahoo.com
Wed May 13 15:08:30 CEST 2009

thanks. the problem is that the new gamma between new a and b is still 90o!

Right now in the cif file I have a unique angle between a and c, while angles between a and b and b and c are 90o. According to the pwscf manual, the only angle I need to specify is between a and b (that's why I started this rotation question). but if I rotate everything once then this angle becomes between rotated vectors b and c, still not a and b as requested in the manual.

shall I rotate twice, e.g. 240 degrees? then the new vectors comprising the unique angle would actually be a and b, as requested in the manual. victory shall be mine!

the problem with transofrming xyz is that I work with cartesians. I can get them easiliy and, to admit the truth, I still can't figure out the difference between alat and crystal coords. just can;t. read the Wyckoff file on the manual page, can't understand the difference

is alat simple fractional coords? can they be simply rotated twice then?

finally, what is a good check that all the rotations were valid?

Jonas