[Pw_forum] about the quantum tunneling of diffusing atoms

Axel Kohlmeyer akohlmey at cmm.chem.upenn.edu
Tue Mar 31 14:31:17 CEST 2009

On Tue, 2009-03-31 at 08:07 +0200, Stefano Baroni wrote:
> Dear LF Huang,
>

> no code will ever be a substitute of common sense. What you need is
> simply the potential energy (i.e. "total energy" in the usual DFT
> parlance) of a system, as a function of the coordinates of the
> diffusing atom. As simple (or as complicated) as that!

please let me add my 2 cents to this.

you can go back to a quantum mechanics text book and look up
for example the discussions of quantum particle vs. wall cases.
the potential doesn't change whether the particle is quantum
or classical!

what you seem to be looking for is some kind of
"barrier crossing probability". now, wrt to that i'd have several
concerns:

 - how accurate is your "classical" barrier potential to begin with?
   you are doing graphite and hydrogen and use plain DFT. the
   interaction between a benzene molecule and a hydrogen molecule is
   a frequently used test case for methods that add dispersion
   interactions corrections to DFT. hmmm...

 - is tunneling relevant at all? at T > 0K the carbon atoms move and
   your barrier will fluctuate, that will affect the crossing
   probability. similarly, if your hydrogen has enough kinetic energy,
   tunneling is irrelevant.

 - what is the correlation length of your system? only if it is long
   quantum effects of the atom core matter. since you seem to be
   doing a solid state vacuum system, you should be good on that.

after you've made sure that all of the above is not rendering any
further studies of the quantum effects pointless, _then_ i would look
into path-integral methods (e.g. the works of mark tuckerman and dominik
marx) that allow studying probability distributions at finite
temperature, albeit mostly in imaginary time. mind you, those
calculations are hugely expensive and you may be best off to first
make some tests with a classical potential. in fact, i would not
be surprised if a suitably chosen classical potential would give
you a better representation of the potential barrier than DFT.

cheers,
   axel.