[Pw_forum] (2) about the logical parameter "use_masses" in IONS card

Tone Kokalj tone.kokalj at ijs.si
Mon Mar 30 23:45:26 CEST 2009

On Mon, 2009-03-30 at 21:59 +0800, lfhuang wrote:
> Any original papers or good papers on the parameter "use_masses" ?

There is no paper on use_masses (as far as I know).
Normaly one does not need to use use_masses.

This parameter was added out of experience with some systems for the quick-min NEB minimization
(i.e. quick-min is a kind of damped dynamics).

If some bond is much stiffer than the others then this bond will prevent using larger ds (=time step).
Say for example that you want to break C-H bond of adsorbed C2H2 molecule. The triple CC bond is
much stiffer than the others, and in this case one may assign to C atom larger "fictitous" mass compared to other atoms.
For example you can assing to C a mass of, say, 1.5 and to H the mass of 1.0.

If use_masses aids in faster convergence in a given case, and what is the optional ratio
between masses, have to be tested. It is difficult to tell it in advance.

Regards, Tone

--
Anton Kokalj
J. Stefan Institute, Jamova 39, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia

Please, if possible, avoid sending me Word or PowerPoint attachments.
See:  http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html