[Pw_forum] Do you think Intel I7 series could improve the parallel efficiency

Nicola Marzari marzari at MIT.EDU
Wed Mar 25 18:04:57 CET 2009

We have some tests for a 4-core i7 920 @ 2.67GHz under:

http://quasiamore.mit.edu/pmwiki/index.php?n=Main.SWTTimings

This is a very informal page (so skip most of the stuff, and just
look at Machine 4, and the AgI CP tests. These are standard
tests we perform, and that are detailed more broadly in
http://quasiamore.mit.edu/pmwiki/index.php?n=Main.CP90Timings  ).

Note that the tests above were done on a remote machine that
was poorly ventilated.

I think Davide Ceresoli might have some more recent results on
a 4-core extreme edition at 3.xx GHz . Davide, could you
add those to the wiki ?

The Xeons are coming out next week, indeed (2 cpus on the
same motherboard).

But our impression was that the improved bandwidth made it very
much worth going for the i7.

			nicola