[Pw_forum] Do you think Intel I7 series could improve the parallel efficiency

O. Baris Malcioglu baris.malcioglu at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 17:16:19 CET 2009

On the topic of "new architecture" processors, does anyone remember this:

http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/citation/267/5195/175

Actually we had one of those processors back in my old university. An
early adopter bought it, and due to infamous Intel PR, never was able
to return it. Although it worked perfectly in running OS etc, unlike
the Intel claim, the error was not so uncommon at all, the machine was
hilarious in calculations.

Also, in addition to this, each now and then there are these faulty
memories with "walking bits", etc which are prone to "invent" some
very interesting "results". Try DDR3 in an unshielded case with bad
PSU/ Square wave outlet UPS.

Best,
Baris