[Pw_forum] SCF correction compared to forces is too large, reduce conv_thr

Stefano de Gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Mon Mar 23 06:40:49 CET 2009

ear Asha gupta,

if your are sure that the system is an non-magnetic insulator then
there is no point in using smearing and include more bands.
Your smearing_width looks very small to me, especially with
methfessel-paxton which, being non positive definite, could give
problems of negative occupations if the k-point sampling is not good
enough.
If you want to keep the smearing use marzari-vanderbilt ... or even
plain gaussian smearing ... for an insulator it should not matter
anyway.
As I said you may want to try mixing_mode='local-TF'.

stefano