[Pw_forum] timing vs QE version vs pools

Giovanni Cantele Giovanni.Cantele at na.infn.it
Mon Mar 9 14:51:23 CET 2009

Giovanni Cantele wrote:
> Marino Vetuschi Zuccolini wrote:
>
>> Dear Giovanni,
>> I'm testing our system with more or less the same configuration. Can
>> you send me the input you used in testing your cluster?
>>
>> Many thanks.
>>
>> m.
>>

> warning: k point list just for testing purposes (I just tried to get
> those specific numbers
> of k-points)
>

> Please let me know your the results of your tests, I would be curious to
> compare with mines.
>
> Giovanni

sorry, due to too many blanks in the files, they are badly displayed in
the e-mail I sent.
I'm resending them again, in attachment, with blanks removed!

Sorry for duplicating the message.

Giovanni

>> On 6 Mar 2009, at 18:15, Giovanni Cantele wrote:
>>

>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> I just finished some timing tests relative to QE, stimulated by recent
>>> discussions in this forum.
>>> I would like to share these tests, and ask  a couple of simple (?)
>>> questions.
>>>
>>> Up to now, even if not supported by systematic tests, my feeling has
>>> been that
>>> for the kind of runs I'm doing on the kind of cluster(s) I'm using,
>>> the
>>> following rules hold:
>>>
>>> i) if using a relatively "small" number of CPUs, pools are rather
>>> ineffective, I often realized that
>>> using pools actually increased job execution time
>>>
>>> ii) diagonalization parallelism (-ndiag XX) is ineffective as well
>>>
>>> iii) version 3.2.3 is "better" than 4.0.4

>> *******************************************************
>> Marino Vetuschi Zuccolini
>> zucco at dipteris.unige.it
>> Researcher / Geochemist
>> Laboratory of Geochemistry
>>
>> DIPartimento per lo studio della TErra e delle sue RISorse -
>> Università  di Genova
>> Tel. ++39 010 3538136 Fax. ++39 010 352169
>> Corso Europa 26, 16132 - Genova - Italy

Dr. Giovanni Cantele
Coherentia CNR-INFM and Dipartimento di Scienze Fisiche
Universita' di Napoli "Federico II"
Complesso Universitario di Monte S. Angelo - Ed. 6
Via Cintia, I-80126, Napoli, Italy
Phone: +39 081 676910
Fax:   +39 081 676346
E-mail: giovanni.cantele at cnr.it