[Pw_forum] Character energy band.

Gabriele Sclauzero sclauzer at sissa.it
Thu Mar 5 14:30:38 CET 2009

Li YL wrote:
> Dear all users,
>
> How to plot character energy band using PWSCF code?  That is to
> say, I want to know how to classify the energy bands across Fermi level. For example,
> when both /s/-electron of A atom and /p/-electrons of B atom have
> contributions to Fermi
> level, how to distinguish which band is from /s/-electron of A atom and which band is from the p-electron of B atom.

The projwfc.x postprocessing program is all what you need. If things haven't benn changed
much since last time I used it for such kind of study, you have to use an input file like
this:

   &inputpp
     prefix= "CoatPtwire",
     outdir= "/local_scratch/sclauzer/tmp/",
     lsym= .FALSE.,
     filproj= "COatPtwire.proj",
   /

using your values for prefix and filenames. In the  filproj file you should find, for each
atomic state available in your system, the projection of the atomic states onto all KS
states produced by the calculation, indexed by k-point and band (so that you can relate
the KS eigenstates to the corresponding eigenvalue from the scf calculation output).

HTH

GS