[Pw_forum] separate the surface state and surface resonance state from the bulk state

Stefano de Gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Thu Mar 5 09:57:57 CET 2009

Dear Wenmei Ming,

surface states are, by definition, localized at the surface and, in term
of band energy, they are located in gaps of the bulk-projected bund
structure.
as such you can identify them in the list of eigenvalues and then plot
their three dimensional density using (for instance) the post processing
tool pp.x (plot_num=7)...
resonant surface states are more tricky as they do not correspond to a
single state but to an energy window and extend inside your slab ...
they can be visualized by looking at the integrated local density of
states (ILDOS) plot_num=10 in the energy window of interest.

Hope this helps,

stefano de Gironcoli -SISSA & DEMOCRITOS