[Pw_forum] Phonon weirdness with matdyn

Miguel Martínez miguel.martinez at ehu.es
Thu Jun 25 15:25:13 CEST 2009

First of all, thanks to Paolo and Eyvaz for their answers.

On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 21:46:05 +0200 Paolo Giannozzi
<giannozz at democritos.it> wrote:
> oops, I guess you are another victim of an ill-conceived change
> I introduced without a careful testing. From file Doc/BUGS
> (recently renamed Doc/release-notes):

The results don't change with quantum-espresso 4.0.5 or the nightly
code tarball from June 23, but I guess Eyvaz is right.

On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 14:46:08 -0700 (PDT) Eyvaz Isaev
<eyvaz_isaev at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Does your sih4.dyn0 contain the macroscopic dielectric constants and
> Born effective charges?

As long as the number is not 0, sih4.dyn* contains both the dielectric
tensor and the Born effective charges, yes.

> If this suggestion is true, then you have LO-TO splitting at the
> Gamma point, and there is no phonon weirdness. Contrary, it reflects
> the real behaviour of the material you studied.

The system is insulating, yes. It doesn't have an enormous gap, but
it's still about 1 eV. I'll take a deeper look at the TO-LO splitting,
because I should have known better... because epsilon_yy is noticeably
larger than epsilon_xx or epsilon_zz.

Thanks everybody again for suggestions and tips,

Miguel

Miguel Martínez Canales
   Condensed Matter Physics Dpt.
   UPV/EHU
   Faculty of Science and Technology
   Apdo. 644
   48080 Bilbao (Spain)
Fax:  +34 94 601 3500
Tlf:  +34 94 601 5326

 "If you have an apple and I have an apple and
 we exchange these apples then you and I will
 still each have one apple. But if you have an
 idea and I have an idea and we exchange these
 ideas, then each of us will have two ideas."

 George Bernard Shaw