[Pw_forum] Zero of the electrostatic potential ?

Lorenzo Paulatto paulatto at sissa.it
Tue Jun 23 12:00:01 CEST 2009

In data 23 giugno 2009 alle ore 11:29:28, Vladan Stevanovic
<vladan.stevanovic at epfl.ch> ha scritto:
> I am using QE for simulations of transition metal clusters. My question
> is where the code places the vacuum level in such calculations
> (nonperiodic systems in a big cell) ?

Dear Vladan,
a non-periodic system in a big periodic cell is still a periodic system!
Hence, the integral of the potential over any possible choice of primitive
cell has to be zero. This is a sufficient condition to find the zero.

> To formulate differently, is it
> possible to compare directly KS eigenvalues from different calculations ?

In general it is NOT possible to directly compare eigenvalues of different
calculations, nevertheless they can be compared taking the Fermi energy as
reference.

best regards

--
Lorenzo Paulatto