[Pw_forum] Doubt in eigenvalues

Padmaja Patnaik padmaja_patnaik at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jun 19 22:23:06 CEST 2009

Dear all

I am doing calculations on wide band gap semiconductor with a transition metal as impurity. Doing the scf calculations, DOS calculations, finding the magnetic moment etc. My problem comes while plotting the energy levels. What I expected that, the eigen values obtained should  indicate the splitting of levels into t2 and e sublevels. As t2 is 3 fold degenerate and e is two fold, so I expected that the eigen value which is repeated three times those corresponds to t2 and that repeated twice is for e. But the results obtained is quite confusing. I observe many sets of eigen values repeated twice and  thrice near the band gap region. I am performing calculations for both the spins. And this is happening for both spins. More than one set eigenvalues are found to be repeated twice and also thrice for the same K-point value. So how to know which one is the correct eigenvalue for t2 and e levels? Am i doing something wrong? I am looking at the dos output file
 for this plot.
Can anybody please advise on this.
Thanks in advance

Regards