[Pw_forum] homo-lumo and conductance

Gabriele Sclauzero sclauzer at sissa.it
Wed Jun 17 10:32:39 CEST 2009

ambavale sagar wrote:
> Sorry for previous mail with wrong subject line.
>
> Dear Gabriele and Smogunov,
> Yes, I do use Al- wire of finite width as reported in smogunov's 2004
> paper. In this case what should be the k-pt grid for scf calculation?
> {for conductance calculation k_perp is set to 1}

For an isolated monoatomic wire or finite cross section electrode (or thick wire) you
choose kx=ky=1, kz="a number large enough, such that the total energy and other
interesting physical quantities are converged within your target accuracy".

> When doing calcuIation with electrode infinite in xy plane, is it
> necessary to use same k-pt grid for conductance and scf calculation?

kx=ky=some number, which needs not to be the same in scf and transmission calculations. In
the former case you have to converge the total energy, in the latter the transmission (you
need to check both convergences by increasing kx=ky and looking at the result). Be aware
that the convergence of the transmission may depend a lot on the scattering energy in some
cases.

> When doing PDOS calculation of molecule, is the gamma point calculation
> sufficient?

Yes, if the molecule is isolated.

GS