[Pw_forum] How to start and use QE open source simulation

Nicola Marzari marzari at MIT.EDU
Tue Jun 16 18:27:07 CEST 2009

yoseph Getachew wrote:
> Dear All ,
>
> sorry but this is a very low level question.
>
> would you please inform me as to how i can install,configure, and make
> all the necessary steps so that i can be able to run simulations. i
> have tried to use the QE website but i ended up in so much more
> inconsistencies.
>
> for example where and how  can i get and install fortan and c.xcrysden
> which binary or static files should i use  and how should i install them.
>
> i need your specific advise on this to catch up with everybody.
>
> Regards,
> Yoseph Getachew
> ArbaMinch University,
> Department of Physics

Hi Yoseph,

it looks like you need to start with some basics on Linux. Do you
have anyone familiar with that in the Department, or can you access
some online guide ? People might have better suggestions here.

At a minimum, to install Quantum ESPRESSO you need a Fortran compiler,
and (I think) a C compiler. The Intel fortran and c compilers are very
efficient, but would need to be downloaded from the Intel site (I have
left a copy of those at Addis Abeba, not sure if it is still there -
contact SibKrishna Ghoshal <lordshib at gmail.com>).

gfortran and gcc would be standard alternatives, available from many
Linux distributions.

			nicola