[Pw_forum] charhe simulation

Axel Kohlmeyer akohlmey at cmm.chem.upenn.edu
Sat Jun 6 16:32:47 CEST 2009

On Sat, 2009-06-06 at 00:20 -0700, ali kazempour wrote:
> Dear all
> I have a question about charge simulation.

> In common DFT simulation with neutral charge we have Ewald sum that
>  describe charge-charge interaction . This sum is not problematic . But

the ewald sum is a _method_ to efficiently compute (or rather
approximate) the _coulomb contribution_ to the total energy
per unitcell in a crystal.

>  when we simulate for example ionization energy, we have to use
>  correction like makov-payne . In both case we have charge -charge
>  interaction . What is the differences between two case?

if you take out an electron, you will have a charged unit cell,
and due to periodic boundary conditions, this will happen in
_every_ unitcell. this is effectively an unphysical situation
and such a crystal is not stable. however, you can still do
calculations of such systems, if you ignore the g=0 term in
the ewald sum. this will lead to an error in the total energy,
but it is independent of the positions of the atoms or ions
and thus the forces will still be correct.

cheers,
   axel.