[Pw_forum] Fwd: Help required

Lorenzo Paulatto paulatto at sissa.it
Fri Jul 31 12:19:18 CEST 2009

In data 30 luglio 2009 alle ore 20:13:13, Somesh Kumar Bhattacharya
<somesh.kb at gmail.com> ha scritto:
> As I was trying too many things, I don't have the output files for all
> cases
> .... but can  send you later

It is not necessary, actually the code is not crashing, but stopping.

I would say there is something seriously wrong with the calculation since
the very beginning:
starting charge  261.71475, renormalised to  264.00000

Where has those 2.3 electrons gone? Although the code could still work, it
seems like the initial conditions are too off the mark for the
diagonalization algorithms.

I've tested the Cl pseudopotential on its own, and it looks like it is
indeed lacking some charge. Also if you look at the header of the
pseudopotential file you can spot a couple of inconsistencies.

If it is due to a recently introduced bug in QE or it has always been like
that, I cannot say at the moment. It may be related to the 3D orbital
being "almost" unbound for Cl with BLYP.

Anyway, I have generated another Cl BLYP NC pseudopotential, starting from
the same parameters (although using the "normal" occupations) and it seems
to be reliable. I'll send it to you visa private email, so you can run the
basic tests. Otherwise, you can also try to start from random
wavefunctions, instead of atomic ones.

Last but not least, for a highly inhomogeneous system, as yours, you
should use 'local-TF' mixing, 'TF' mixing is for homogeneous system!

best regards

--
Lorenzo Paulatto
SISSA  &  DEMOCRITOS (Trieste)