[Pw_forum] pwcond-problem with linear system

ambavale sagar sagarambavale at yahoo.co.in
Wed Jul 22 15:24:15 CEST 2009

Dear all,
I am running a pwcond program for system made of Al electrodes and vaccum (> 10 angstrom) in between. Even for such a large vaccum I get nonzero values (10e-1 to 10e-4) of transmission coefficient (T) at higher energies (> 2 eV +Ef). for energies < 2 eV, T become almost zero. After 0.8 eV +Ef energy the program got terminated giving error:
 error # 5411
problems with the linear system.
What might be a source of error in my case? Can I substract this contribution of leads from the T values I got for electrode-molecule-electrode system to get accurate T in case of molecule attached to electrodes?
The other question is little sidelined. Why Al is not used as electrode in most of the studies? In other words, what are the drawbacks of using Al as an electrode?

regards
Sagar Ambavale
PhD student
M.S. University of Baroda