[Pw_forum] failure with NCPP

Luke Shulenburger lshulenburger at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 18:36:51 CEST 2009

Dear Ian,

In regards to the kink in the ionic potential near the origin, this is
often caused because the GGA functionals can be ill behaved in regions
of small charge density.  Opium has two options for handling this
problem.  The first is to switch to LDA inside of some radius and the
second is to extrapolate the potential from outside of some radius
into the core.  These two options are controlled by adding a line
after the functional name in the [XC] section of your input.  If a
positive number is given, this is the radius at which the code
switches to LDA.  If a negative number, this gives the radius at which
the extrapolation begins.

About your tests, it appears you have everything under control.  I
would just make sure that your results are well converged with respect
to the plane wave cutoff.  When I ran opium with your input file, it
suggested that very high cutoffs (>400Ry) would be necessary to get
energy convergence within 1mRy (or even 10mRy).  This may not be
entirely accurate (and indeed, I have made changes to this part of my
version of opium so it may not even be correct), but it is always a
good idea to test this.

Luke
(lshulenburger at ciw.edu)
Geophysical Laboratory