[Pw_forum] nsfd

Vo, Trinh (388C) trinh.vo at jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Jul 17 02:47:25 CEST 2009

Dear PWSCF Users,

I am using QE-ver 4.0.3 on my cluster.  I submitted one job from the the 2nd node (I call the head node as the 1st node).  This job used 40CPUs, with the distribution being 5 nodes (nodes #3 to #9, and 6CPUs/node) and 1 node (node #10, and 4CPUs/node).  When I used 'top' command on node#2 to see the jobs listing, memory uses,...I usually saw lines of 'nsfd' appear on the 'Command' column.  What 'nsfd' means?

The reason I have this question is that the machine is usually slower (i.e. hangs up for 20 seconds or more) if I submit a 2nd job from node#2, but use other nodes (say nodes #11 to 17).  Having this 2nd job running at the same time with the 1st job, I saw more 'nsfd' lines appear, and the machine is slower.  I appreciate if you could explain to me what "nsfd" means.

Thank you,

Trinh Vo

HCCP Group
Jet Propulsion Laboratory/CalTech