[Pw_forum] the sum of the born effective charge in phonon calculation

Nicola Marzari marzari at MIT.EDU
Wed Jul 1 09:59:10 CEST 2009

Dear Cheng,

your question provides again a chance for you (and everyone else)
to try out a few things, as exercise - these will, I assure you,
allow you to understand better what is going on.

My understanding is that the greatest error in Born effective charges
comes from BZ sampling - so a good exercise would be to plot
the effective charge on either atom as a function of k-point sampling -
say for a 2,2,2, then 3,3,3, then 4,4,4, ... k-point mesh. You could
plot two curves, one for an unshifted Monkhorst-Pack mesh (i.e. n n n 0
0 0) and one for a shifted one (i.e. n n n 1 1 1).

See how these value converge; also, since you know that the sum of the
effective charges must be zero, see how the semidifference of the two
converges (this is equivalent, for 2 atoms, to applying the acoustic sum
rule, i.e. forcing the sum of the eff charges to be zero by subtracting
to each of the N charges 1/N of the their sum).

Then try to see if increasing or decreasing the cutoff changes the
values you have. See also if changing the thresholds changes the results
(I tend to be overzealous on thresholds, since it doesn't cost that
much to increase accuracy with a few more iterations. For phonon
calculations it is typically very useful to converge really well the
ground state and the phonons themselves).

I'm not sure on the definition of the thresholds - would also be good if
someone (e.g. from my group ?) could comment on typical safe thresholds
for ground-state calculations, or for phonon calculations. Especially
the latter, almost a FAQ, and requiring great care.

				nicola