[Pw_forum] charge is wrong and system is non-metallic

Axel Kohlmeyer akohlmey at cmm.chem.upenn.edu
Thu Jan 29 07:22:51 CET 2009

On Wed, 28 Jan 2009, Jonas Baltrusaitis wrote:

JB> I deduce it from the error output (in fact it explicitly says that)

it says "charge is wrong", but nothing about the system being
metallic. ...and of course the GIGO principle applies to Q-E.

JB> Below is an output from the .cif file, obviously NH2 group is
JB> symmetrical to one another. this somewhat brings me to another
JB> question I asked earlier about how to use data in .cif files to
JB> setup an pwscf input. I looked at the lecture notes on QE website

there are cif parsers/readers/converters around, you just have
to compile/install one of them and export to cartesian coordinates.

JB> how to use Wyckoff coordinates to setup an input but in this case it
JB> wasn't useful

perhaps you didn't read it properly?

[...]

JB> loop_
JB> _symmetry_equiv_pos_as_xyz
JB>   'x,y,z'
JB>   '1/2-y,1/2-x,z'
JB>   'y,-x,-z'
JB>   '1/2-x,1/2+y,-z'
JB>   '-x,-y,z'
JB>   '1/2+y,1/2+x,z'
JB>   '-y,x,-z'
JB>   '1/2+x,1/2-y,-z'
JB> loop_

well, doesn't this block provide all you need?
i don't know CIF files very well, but with a little
bit of common sense once can deduce that you have to
apply the listed transformations to the coordinates
below. then just remove the coordinates that map onto
the same position (remember to consider PBC) and you
should be done. can be done in a small script or with
a piece of paper and a pencil in not too much time.

[...]

JB> _atom_site_label
JB> _atom_site_fract_x
JB> _atom_site_fract_y