[Pw_forum] TD-DFT

Stefano Baroni baroni at sissa.it
Sun Jan 25 09:25:30 CET 2009

On Jan 24, 2009, at 4:47 PM, lan haiping wrote:

> Thanks for the instruction!
> Does  it mean that i should try to use BSE method to examine
> excitons' properties?

yes (TDDFT with exact exchange would also do, though)

> I do wonder whether this failure is due to my solid systems .   My
> basic knowledge is that tddft cannot predict proper
> optical spectra for solids system but wonderful results for isolated
> systems due to no standard functionals for this scheme.

yes - this is the populace's (mis-) belief. the reason why TDDFT
completely fails for excitons is exactly the same why it behaves
(sometimes) poorly in finite systems. eg, it cannot predict Rydberg
series. After all, what is the physical difference between an infinite
system and a (large) finite one? shouldn't the results for the latter
converge to those of the former when the size grows large enough?

Stefano