[Pw_forum] Trying to find reasonable parallelization parameters

J. J. Ramsey jjr19 at uakron.edu
Fri Jan 23 14:50:02 CET 2009

----- Original Message ----

*Each* pool? I had gotten the impression from the documentation (<http://www.quantum-espresso.org/wiki/index.php/Running_on_parallel_machines#Understanding_Parallelism_in_Quantum-Espresso>) that if, say, I had 36 CPU cores and 4 pools, the diagonalization would by default take place over only 9 cores, not 9 cores for each pool.

(FWIW, I also understand that the diagonalization takes place on a subset of the processors performing the FFTs, so it's not like I have some cores doing diagonalization and a completely different set of cores handling the plane wave parallelization. Not sure if that's right, though.)

BTW, thanks for the tip on diago_david_ndim. I may give that a try.