[Pw_forum] Trying to find reasonable parallelization parameters

Axel Kohlmeyer akohlmey at cmm.chem.upenn.edu
Fri Jan 23 00:39:59 CET 2009

On Thu, 22 Jan 2009, J. J. Ramsey wrote:

> [...]

oh. you can compile your own. compiling MPI does not require
administrator privilege. i do it all the time when i am not
happy with how it is being set up (even in some of the
supercomputing centers). in this case it would probably
be beneficial to upgrade to 1.2.8, but please try adding
the following settings to your mpirun commandline as it is.

--mca btl_openib_use_srq 1

and

--mca mpi_leave_pinned 1

the former is the memory saver (and performance enhancer), the
second may be needed if you get crashes (if not, don't use it).

...and as i said before, i get _much_ better performance with
-npernode 4 on nodes with 8 cores.

cheers,
   axel.