[Pw_forum] Trying to find reasonable parallelization parameters

Axel Kohlmeyer akohlmey at cmm.chem.upenn.edu
Thu Jan 22 23:38:47 CET 2009

On Thu, 22 Jan 2009, J. J. Ramsey wrote:

> [...]

perhaps i didn't explain it too well, but reducing disk i/o
will _significantly_ enhance scaling and that would mean
that you can use many more processors for the g-space
parallelization, which in turn will significantly reduce
the per MPI-task memory requirements. basically, you want
to get the most performance out of your machine, right?
and this is how you get it.

another option that frequently helps, particularly with
current intel quad-core cpus, is to use only half the available
cpus. due to the architecture of that intel platform, this
reduces the load on the memory bus and effectively doubles
the cpu cache (and per MPI-task memory, of course). the effect
can be quite drastoc, as shown, e.g. in this scaling test
on our local machine (using a different DFT code that is
much more demanding in terms of memory bandwidth than Q-E).

http://cp2k.googlegroups.com/web/cp2k-water-bench-cmm.png

so less is more in this case, and the only way to find this
out is to run systematic tests (this example is gamma only).

cheers,
   axel.