[Pw_forum] Trying to find reasonable parallelization parameters

Axel Kohlmeyer akohlmey at cmm.chem.upenn.edu
Thu Jan 22 19:37:00 CET 2009

On Thu, 22 Jan 2009, J. J. Ramsey wrote:

JJR> The cluster I'm running on uses Infiniband for MPI communications,
JJR> and the queueing software by default limits me to 1280 processor
JJR> cores for a single job, 1.8 GB per core, and a wall time of 96
JJR> hours. As warned about in the user guide, I'm running into problems
JJR> with running out of memory when using pw.x, so I need to find
JJR> appropriate values for npool, ntg, and ndiag. (I don't have an NEB
JJR> calculation, so I don't thing that the # of images is an issue.)
JJR> I'm a bit unsure about sane values of these, since as far as I can
JJR> tell, my simulation isn't a "very large" job but isn't exactly
JJR> small, either: 213 atoms, 727 electrons, and I'm using 4x4x1
JJR> k-point sampling. (It's a slab calculation.)

JJR> How many cores, roughly, is reasonable for a simulation like this,
JJR> and what's a reasonable way to divide it up into pools, ortho
JJR> groups, etc.?

jj,

very simple. -npools can be maximally the actual number of k-points that
you are using, and that should be exploited to the maximum. a second
option to pay attention to, is the disk_io flag. setting this to 'low'
can have a very positive effect on scaling at the expense of additional
memory use. for the rest you have to make a sequence of benchmarks to
see how far you can push it. there is no way to predict this. too many
factors beyond the contol of the source code have some impact. for some
of the advanced options, the code tries to measure its efficiency at the
beginning of a run.

cheers,
   axel.