[Pw_forum] wavefunction coefficients

Gabriele Sclauzero sclauzer at sissa.it
Thu Jan 22 09:54:17 CET 2009

Hi,

    of course Paolo and Axel could help you much more than me on this issue, but inthe
meanwhile:

Karoly Nemeth wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to obtain the wavefunction coefficients u(i,k,G), where "i"
> is the band-index, "k" is the k-space vector used in the discretization of
> the Brillouin-zone in a PW calculation and "G" is the plane-wave basis
> function's wave-vector (assuming a complex form as exp[i(k+G)r] ).

I think that the quantities you are interested in are store in the variable "evc" of the
pw program (but only in certains parts of the program and only for one k-point at a time;
  the wavefunctions for all the k-points are stored on the .wfc files).

> Is there any utility program that is independent from the rest of PWSCF
> and would provide some sort of tabulation on u(i,k,G) as a function
> of i,k and G , for a parallel calculation? Perhaps a quick quide to the
> format of this information in the *.wfc* files written by a parallel run?

Be careful that in parallel runs the G vectors (i.e. plane waves) are split across
processor, so that each processor may be working only with a slab of the full grid.
The option wfc_collect=.TRUE. collects all wavefunctions on a single file after the
parallel run (maybe it can help you understand how to gather all the coefficients).

GS

PS: The forum community would be grateful if you specify your affiliation... thanks.