[Pw_forum] vibrational frequencies

Stefano Baroni baroni at sissa.it
Mon Jan 19 23:39:06 CET 2009

to add my 5 cents to the thread: not all vibrational mode are IR
active. The IR activity is what is usually nicknamed as "oscillator
strength" of the vibrational mode, which is a linear combination of
the ionic effective (Born) charges, the linear coefficient being
suitable components of the vibrational eigenmode. all the necessary
ingredients are calculated by QE. the theory can be learnt in many
textbooks. Stefano

On Jan 19, 2009, at 2:15 AM, Axel Kohlmeyer wrote:

> for all practical purposes, there are no differences between phonons
> and infrared frequencies. axel.
>
> On 1/18/09, Jonas Baltrusaitis <jasius_1 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> I see the problem now. I am so used to calculating Hessian upon
>> each atom
>> displacement in non-plane wave type calculations. Are there any
>> examples on
>> how to setup calculations to eventually get IR frequencies?
>>
>> JOnas
>>

>> --- On Sun, 1/18/09, j.antonio.montoya at gmail.com
>> <j.antonio.montoya at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> From: j.antonio.montoya at gmail.com <j.antonio.montoya at gmail.com>
>>> Subject: Re: [Pw_forum] vibrational frequencies
>>> To: jasius_1 at yahoo.com, "PWSCF Forum" <pw_forum at pwscf.org>
>>> Date: Sunday, January 18, 2009, 3:23 PM
>>> Dear Jonas,
>>>
>>> From the phonon calculation you can automatically get the
>>> IR and Raman active frequencies, and with a bit more of
>>> effort also the intensities.
>>>
>>> If you don't know the relation between phonons and the
>>> frequencies you are looking for, please read a book on solid
>>> state physics, or in IR spectroscopy.
>>>
>>> Javier Montoya
>>> CIW, DC 20015
>>> USA
>>> Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

---
Stefano Baroni - SISSA  &  DEMOCRITOS National Simulation Center -
Trieste
http://www.sissa.it/~baroni / [+39] 040 3787 406 (tel) -528 (fax) /
stefanobaroni (skype)

La morale est une logique de l'action comme la logique est une morale
de la pensée - Jean Piaget