[Pw_forum] Using wfc with scf after vc-relax

Marino Vetuschi Zuccolini zucco at dipteris.unige.it
Mon Jan 19 15:46:22 CET 2009

Hello to all users,
I'm using QE 4.0.4 with mpi on my macosx.

I relaxed successfully a structure with variable-cell method obtaining
a minimum with a diagonalized matrix of stresses.

Interested in the postprocessing of wfc I used the files written at
the end of the relaxation with projwfc or pp, but it seems that the
wfc are not readable by those tools with the well known error messages
found in the FAQ when cutoff of mesh nodes are not of the same size
(dimensions do not match ..).

Then, computing a single scf point with the equilibium (!) geometries
of the converged vc-relax job, this geometries is not recognized as
minimum, with a mean of the trace of stress eclose to 87 kbars,
appearing mechanically unstable.

Then the question is why vc-relax generate an odd wfc useless to other
tools and the geometries of vc-relax are not computed as equilibrium
geometries by scf run? ..or why I'm in this strange situation...

I apologize if the questions hides lack of knowledge of mine.

Thanks to all in advance

m.

Marino Vetuschi Zuccolini
zucco at dipteris.unige.it
Researcher / Geochemist
Laboratory of Geochemistry

DIPartimento per lo studio della TErra e delle sue RISorse -
Università  di Genova
Tel. ++39 010 3538136 Fax. ++39 010 352169
Corso Europa 26, 16132 - Genova - Italy