[Pw_forum] Transport with pw_cond copper

Alexander Smogunov smogunov at sissa.it
Fri Jan 16 09:08:37 CET 2009

Dear Nicki, John

On Thursday 15 January 2009 17:46, J. D. Burton wrote:
> Nicki,
>
> PWCOND only works with tetragonal cells: either ibrav = 6 or use ibrav = 0
> with tetragonal CELL_PARAMETERS in your scf calculation. Notice all the
> calculations in example12 use ibrav = 6. Why do you want simple cubic Cu
> anyway? Cu is fcc, but you can’t use ibrav = 2 for PWCOND. You can set up
> your scf calculation like this:

Some time ago there was a discussion on the systems where PWCOND works,
It works not only for tetragonal unit cells but for general MONOCLINIC systems
where the transport direction (the z axis) is perpendicular to the xy plane.
This is the only restriction on the geometry. It is right that some check on
the allowed geometry would be useful to add before the code starts running...

> ibrav = 0
> celldm(1) = cubic lattice parameter for Cu in a.u.
>
> ATOMIC_POSITONS (crystal)
> Cu  0.0 0.0 0.0
> Cu  0.5 0.5 0.5
>
> CELL_PARAMETERS
> sqrt(2)/2 0.00      0.00
> 0.00      sqrt(2)/2 0.00
> 0.00      0.00      1.00

I think that should work. But you can use a simple tetragonal unit cell
with also 2 atoms/cell as it is shown in the example12 for bulk Al and Ni.

Best regards,
Alexander