[Pw_forum] Projection, convergence and imaginary phonon frequencies

Nicola Marzari marzari at MIT.EDU
Mon Jan 12 16:09:52 CET 2009

Dear John,

if it is a crystal, the most critical parameter should be k-point
sampling. Increase that, maybe using shifted meshes of the form
2n 2n 3n 1 1 1 , with n=1,2,3...

Norm-conserving and ultrasoft should matter little (unless
there is a problem with one pseudo), while GGAs should be a bit
tougher to converge than LDA.

Do "crystal" and "simple" really lead to a different number of
modes (10 vs 13) ??

			nicola