[Pw_forum] How to understand the intermolecular force between water molecules calculated by PWSCF

Axel Kohlmeyer akohlmey at cmm.chem.upenn.edu
Fri Jan 2 20:04:26 CET 2009

On Sat, 3 Jan 2009, vega lew wrote:

VL> Dear all,
VL>
VL> if we calculated the a couple of  water molecles in a large enough boxes, we
VL> will find the H of water must point to O of another water.
VL> We often call this kind of attraction as hydrogen bond.
VL> But I want to know except for hydrogen bond, is there van der waals force or
VL> other forces included in the results given by PWSCF?

yes and no.

PWSCF computes interactions/forces between atoms based on quantum
mechanics (using DFT), and thus those forces are the result of
_all_ atoms in a non-additive way, i.e. it contains in principle
everything.

decomposing this into individual (pairwise) contributions (coulomb,
non-coulomb, bonded, non-bonded, ...) is entirely empirical (or
phenomenological) and the results depend on your definition of the
individual contributions. this is what is done in the parametrization of
classical force fields and thus explains why those parameters are not
very transfereable. hydrogen bonds are a phenomenoligical concept added
on top of that and somewhat ill defined at that (there are many
different definitions of when there is a hydrogen bond between atoms or
not). the most common definition of a hydrogen bond actually involves
three atoms, the hydrogen bond donor, the acceptor and the hydrogen that
is located in between, and to call the resulting "structural feature" a
hydrogen bond the donor and acceptor have to be close enough and the
hydrogen must somewhat close to the line connecting those two atoms. in
classical force fields hydrogen bonds are favored by a combination of
somewhat strong coulombic attraction balanced with vdW repulsion.

now, it is similarly difficult to determine the contribution assigned
to vdW interactions (except for systems that have bascially no other
interactions, e.g. Argon) and on top of that you have the problem that
current LDA/GGA functionals underrepresent certain exchange and
correlation interactions which corresponds to what described as vdW
interactions. you'd have to do prohibitively expensive quantum chemistry
calculations (using e.g. CCSD(T) with very large basis sets) to compute
those accurately.

cheers,
   axel.