[Pw_forum] ELF .vs. Charge difference

Stefano de Gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Fri Feb 27 09:47:36 CET 2009

Dear Hai-Ping LAN,
   my understanding of ELF is that it gives you an indication of whether
the occupied electronic manifold in a given region of space is
associated with a single main wavefunction (in the Wannier function
sense) which is typical of covalent bonds or associated with many such
states which is more the case in metallic bonds.
  Total density difference are what they are... they tell where charge
accumulates upon formation of bonds...
  The two indicators may (hopefully should) give consistent indications
when applied to a given system but they measure two different things.
  Hope this helps,
    stefano de Gironcoli - SISSA and DEMOCRITOS