[Pw_forum] segmentation faults in pwcond.x

Derek Stewart stewart at cnf.cornell.edu
Wed Feb 25 20:14:15 CET 2009

Hi everyone,

I am trying to do some calculations with pwcond to determine the complex
band structure for a fairly large unit cell structure (22 atoms).  I am
using QE version 4.0.4 compiled with the intel compilers (ifort & icc v10.1,
mkl 10.0.4) in parallel with lam-mpi 7.1.4.  I have no problem running the
scf calculation.

However, my pwcond calculation crashes after printing out the atomic
positions and the following lines:

        k(    1) = (   0.0000000   0.0000000), wk =   1.0000000

 ngper, shell number =          951         256
 ngper, n2d =          951         212
forrtl: severe (174): SIGSEGV, segmentation fault occurred
Image              PC        Routine            Line        Source
Stack trace terminated abnormally.
forrtl: severe (174): SIGSEGV, segmentation fault occurred
Image              PC        Routine            Line        Source

The run was done in parallel over 10 processors.  I have set the stack as
unlimited.

Looking back through the pwscf archive, it appears that other people have
run into segmenation faults at a similar point in their calculation.  It was
mentioned that pwcond performs a diagonilization over a non-symmetric matrix
that occasionally crashes.  Has this issue been resolved?  Also, are there
problems with larger systems for pwcond and total RAM required?

All my parameters for the pwcond input file are similar to those used in
example12.

Thanks,

Derek

Derek Stewart, Ph. D.