[Pw_forum] Help me with the Band Structure Calculation

Gabriele Sclauzero sclauzer at sissa.it
Mon Feb 23 12:28:36 CET 2009

Dear Hai-Ping,

lan haiping wrote:
> Hi , Gabriele,
> Thanks for this emphasis.
> I do wonder about any tricks to treat  DOS or
> other nscf calculations with explicit kpoints set.

What kind of tricks are you thinking of? I don't use any 'trick', but maybe there are.
I usually do DOS/PDOS calculations starting from nscf k-point sets generated automatically
(with or without offset, this should affect more or less convergency depending on the
system, I think), so that weights are computed automatically and the hamiltonian is
diagonlized only for points in the IBZ. In this way you can easily check convergence of
the quantity you're interested in by simply increasing the grid size.

> In fact , my previous works of nscf calculations on  DOS ,charge density
> and electrostaic potential et al  were adopted  MP grids.

What are MP grids? Do you mean Monkhorst Pack grids?
Maybe a more efficient way to converge faster DOS is to adopt the tetrahedra method, but
I've never practiced with it (I don't know if it has been implemented for all cases, such
as noncolinear, spin orbit, ...)

GS