[Pw_forum] How to tune cputimes using mpich2-1.0.8

Mahmoud Payami Shabestari mpayami at aeoi.org.ir
Sat Feb 21 18:38:30 CET 2009

Hi Axel,

> you should ask that the people developing MPICH2.
> this is not the right forum for this kind of question.
>
> one more remark. that might also help people here not
> to waste too much time on something pointless [...].

It is the converse! I am trying to save the community's time. Here you are:
mpich2_with_those_switches_that_I_mentioned:

     PWSCF        :  9m46.25s CPU time,    12m 9.57s wall time
openmpi-1.2.9 (default switches):

     PWSCF        :  32m8.27s CPU time,    51m 23.38s wall time
These are the results of an scf calculation for 21-layered Al(110) slab
with Ecut=22Ry, k_mesh=45x45x1, degauss=0.05 on a box with 2 x amd64 quad
(8 cores).
The memory used in mpich2 is less than half of that in (default
switches)openmpi.

Cheers,
       mahmoud