[Pw_forum] Imposed symmetry

Stefano Baroni baroni at sissa.it
Thu Feb 5 21:35:55 CET 2009

Gabriele is totally right. Let me elaborate a little bit on his
arguments, though.
Geometry optimization is based on energy minimization, which procedes
by varying the structural parameters (nuclear coordinates, unit-cell
shape/size) using various algorithms, all of which vary the struc
parameters along energy derivatives (forces and stress). When the
ground state is nondegenerate, energy derivatives have the same
symmetry as the the geometry of the system. Energy minimization,
therefore, cannot break any symmetry unless: i) random displacements
are introduced on purpose (as suggested by Gabriele, and as sometimes
done); ii) some noise comes in unporposedly, because of numerical
accuracy (this is often coped is, again as suggested by Gabriele, by
explicitly simmetrizing the resulting forces), or iii) if the ground
state is degenerate, giving rise to Jahn-Teller distortions.
I do not expect to have been very pedagogic, but hope nevertheless to
have offered some food for thoughts.
Stefano

On Feb 5, 2009, at 5:38 PM, Gabriele Sclauzero wrote:

> Green Power wrote:
>> Dear PWscf users,
>> I wonder if PWscf can deal with imposed symmetry for structural
>> relaxation calculations. If so, dose the imposed symmetry speed up
>> the
>> calculations? Thanks in advance.
>
> The symmetry is determined at the beginning of the run and depends
> on the bravais lattice,
> atomic positions and maybe other stuff (like starting magnetization
> for noncolinear
> calculations with SO).
> Everything is symmetrizing with this initial symmetry which holds
> during all the relaxation.
> You may want to break symmetry, rather than imposing it, when doing
> structural relaxations
> in order not to be confined in a subspace of configurations.
>
> If you want to impose constraints, well, that's another story...
>
> GS
>

>> Tian
>> Georgetown University
>> Washington DC 20057

> o ------------------------------------------------ o
> | Gabriele Sclauzero, PhD Student                  |
> | c/o:   SISSA & CNR-INFM Democritos,              |
> |        via Beirut 2-4, 34014 Trieste (Italy)     |
> | email: sclauzer at sissa.it                         |
> | phone: +39 040 3787 511                          |
> | skype: gurlonotturno                             |

---
Stefano Baroni - SISSA  &  DEMOCRITOS National Simulation Center -
Trieste
http://www.sissa.it/~baroni / [+39] 040 3787 406 (tel) -528 (fax) /
stefanobaroni (skype)

La morale est une logique de l'action comme la logique est une morale
de la pensée - Jean Piaget