[Pw_forum] Imposed symmetry

Gabriele Sclauzero sclauzer at sissa.it
Thu Feb 5 17:38:07 CET 2009

Green Power wrote:
> Dear PWscf users,
> I wonder if PWscf can deal with imposed symmetry for structural
> relaxation calculations. If so, dose the imposed symmetry speed up the
> calculations? Thanks in advance.

The symmetry is determined at the beginning of the run and depends on the bravais lattice,
atomic positions and maybe other stuff (like starting magnetization for noncolinear
calculations with SO).
Everything is symmetrizing with this initial symmetry which holds during all the relaxation.
You may want to break symmetry, rather than imposing it, when doing structural relaxations
in order not to be confined in a subspace of configurations.

If you want to impose constraints, well, that's another story...

GS