[Pw_forum] Problems computing Cholesky decomposition

Gabriele Sclauzero sclauzer at sissa.it
Tue Dec 15 08:42:48 CET 2009

Dear Fedai,

fedai inanir wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I am trying to run nanotribology computations for a 24-atom
> graphene-like cluster on monolayer graphene of a 7x7 supercell. However,
> execution of the code leads to an error message: "Problems computing
> Cholesky decomposition". I looked up for this in the forum. I tried the
> recommendations I found out but none of them worked. I also tried
> diagonalization='david-serial' in the ELECTRONS namespace. I would be
> delighted if someone has any suggestions to solve this problem.
>
> /
>
> &SYSTEM
>
> ibrav = 4,
>
> celldm(1) = 32.5350,
>
> celldm(3) = 0.2,
>
> nat = 152,
>
> ntyp = 1,
>
> ecutwfc = 32.0 ,

> ATOMIC_SPECIES
>
> C 12.01000 C.pz-rrkjus.UPF

You are using an ultrasoft pseudopotential, hence you need to specify a cutoff for the
charge density as well, ecutrho > 4*ecutwfc. People choose ecutrho ~ 8*ecutwfc, but it is
usually good habit to check convergence when you start using a pseudopotential file.

Anyway the problem is in your input atomic coordinates, I think. The atoms at
z=6.670736000 are too close to those at x=0. Remember that the code uses PBCs in all three
directions! Probably you need to change celldm(3) to a more suitable value.
Try to visualize your system with xcrysden before repeating the calculation.

Also I would suggest to start with simpler examples and get used to the code input/output
before moving to systems with hundreds of atoms.

Regards,

Gabriele