[Pw_forum] simulated STM image

Madhura Marathe madhura at jncasr.ac.in
Thu Dec 10 14:34:39 CET 2009

 Dear all,

 I have been trying to find the simulated STM images for some surfaces. I
have some doubts about the procedure:

1) The option of 'stm_wfc_matching' is not working. According to some
forum posts, it has been disabled for some latest versions. The working of
that option itself was not very clear to me from documentation, but why
was that disabled?
 And if necessary, can I use the wave-functions and charge density files
from the latest version for the older version post-processing tools, to
get this option working?

2) I am interested to know that because from calculations what we get is
ILDOS and we plot it some fixed plane. This will correspond to
"constant-height" mode of the STM experiments. However, more common mode
in experiments is "constant-current"; and that wave-function matching
option has some z and dz parameters which probably were used to get the
image corresponding to the latter mode. Is that correct guess?

3) I have seen some papers which give simulated STM images calculated at
"constant-current" mode using QE (e.g. - Valentin, JCP 2007). So does
there exist some post-processing tool to calculate that? If yes, where can
I find it?

 Thanks and regards,
 Madhura.

--